Pinterest is lots of fun, and it can also be a great source of traffic for your website—if you know how to pin the images that will send people to your site. This infographic gives lots of tips on making the most of Pinterest.
Be sure to read through the tips and advice in the infographic, but here are a few of my favorite points:
1. Create a variety of boards, and use keywords in the names of your boards. “Florida Beaches” is better than “Places I Love.”
2. Remember that Pinterest is social media, and don’t forget the “social” part. Instead of just throwing images out there, interact with others, comment, like and re-pin their images.
3. The maximum image width is 554 pixels, but there is no maximum length. (That’s one reason infographics work on Pinterest.) Even though there is no maximum, it is wise to keep your image length at no more than 5000. People are unlikely to scroll back up to the top to repin. The smallest image size you can pin is 85 x 85 pixels.
4. In addition to photos and other images, you can pin videos from YouTube and Vimeo.
5. Use keywords in you image file names. “chocolate-tart.jpg” is better than “Feb2012_20120204_005.jpg” and should rank better.
5. Add “Follow” and “Pin It” buttons to your website to make it easy for visitors to share your images and links on Pinterest.
6. Be yourself! Express your personality and brand.
Infographic copyright Avalaunch Media. Used with permission.